Japan Travel & Entry Restrictions (Updated March 3, 2022)
Due to the rapid spread of omicron, a new variant of COVID-19, Japan suspended all-new entry permits for foreigners since November last year (2021). The Japanese government plans to relax immigration control measures in stages from March 1, and the number of tourists entering Japan will increase to 5,000 daily.
If you want to plan a trip to Japan, please feel free to contact us for a free consultation or follow our Facebook to get the latest information.
>Documents to prepare before entry Japan
>Japan Travel Restrictions in 2022
Who Can Enter Japan – Current Japan Entry Policy 2022
According to the "New Measures for Strengthening the Prevention and Control of Borders (27) on February 24, 2022)", the entry policy for foreigners has been updated. Foreign nationals are allowed entry into Japan again under the responsibilities of receiving organizations from March 1, 2022. Then who can go to Japan?
1. Foreign nationals with a short-term stay (less than 3 months) for business and employment purposes
2. Foreign national newly entry for long-term stay
※The tourist visa is not applicable.
※The receiving organizations should be an employer or a recruiting unit or group that accepts entry for the purpose of work or performing arts.
* The receiving organizations located in Japan complete a prescribed application in the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS).
※The Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) will start accepting applications from 10:00 am (Japan time) on February 25, 2020.
3. Other foreign nationals
1) Spouse or child of a Japanese or a permanent resident
2) Spouse or child of long-term residents who still have family members in Japan
3) Those who apply for a "short-term stay" under the new regulations have the following circumstances,
- Family reunion: The second-degree relatives of Japanese or permanent residents and the first-degree relatives of long-term residents
- Those who enter Japan to take care of their relatives with illness or giving birth.
- Those who enter Japan to visit their seriously ill relatives or attend a relative's funeral
- The entrant is a minor or cannot go to Japan alone due to illness, who need an escort.
- Those who can be recognized as the family discrete state and obtain "family stay" or "specific activities"(listed in Notice No. 7, 18, 19, 23, 24, 30, 31, 38,45, and 47) eligibility.
How to Get a Japan Visa – Japan Visa Application
Application for a visa is made by the applicant him/herself at the Japanese overseas establishments with jurisdiction over the area in which the applicant resides or those with jurisdiction over the country/region of which the applicant’s passport is issued, such as the Japan embassy or consulates in the country where the applicant resides. Please note that there are some countries/regions in which the visa applications should be submitted through travel agencies accredited by Japanese overseas establishments.
What documents required for Japan visa application
- The certificate for completion of registration to the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) which receiving organization located in Japan applied for online
- Visa application form
- Valid passport
- Photograph (4.5cm X 4.5cm, white background)
- Other necessary documents, such as certificate of Eligibility
Some supplement for Japan visa application
- For Japan Permanent Residents, the re-entry permit has expired, please contact the Japanese embassy in your country or a representative office designated by the embassy directly.
- Regarding the validity period of the Certificate of Eligibility, please check on the official website of the Immigration Services Agency of Japan.
- Those who have already got the certificate for the completion of the registration in 2021 also need to register and confirm in the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) this time.
- The visa applied before December 2021 is regarded as an invalid visa. A new visa application will be required.
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare:
Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System: https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/
Immigration Services Agency of Japan: https://www.isa.go.jp/en/index.html
Do I need A negative COVID test for entry Japan – Documents to prepare before entry Japan
negative COVID test will likely be necessary within 72 hours of boarding your flight to Japan. You’ll almost certainly be asked to show proof of this when you check-in for your flight, and you’ll have to show it to Japanese immigration upon arrival. At this point, there are two acceptable tests: the PCR test and the CLEIA quantitative antigen test. You might start researching where you can get such a test on this timetable, including airports where such testing services are available.
The detection methods are limited to the following types: real-time RT-PCR method, LAMP method, TMA method, TRC method, Smart Amp method, NEAR method, Next-generation sequence, Quantitative antigen test (CLEIA).
Specimens are limited to nasopharyngeal swabs (Nasopharyngeal Swab) and saliva (Saliva)Throat Swab is not recognized
The test certificate should include negative result, sampling time, sampling result determination time, date of issue, name of the medical institution or the doctor, address of the medical institution, the official seal of the medical institution, or the signature of the doctor.
Other documents to be prepared
- Valid passport (same as the one for visa application)
- Valid visa
- Declaration of pre-entry testing result
- Submit the questionnaire at the arrival hall of Japan
- Vaccination certificate
Besides, you should install and register the MySoS App to submit your personal information.
Do I need quarantine after entry- Japan Quarantine Measure
The current Japan quarantine measures are strengthened as followings,
From 0:00 am (JST) on March 1, 2022, the self-quarantine period after their entry into Japan is changed. All cross-border travelers and returnees from countries/regions where the Omicron variant becomes dominant are required to self-quarantine in places such as their own residence or accommodations after their entry into Japan, to follow-up checks conducted by the Health Monitoring Center for Overseas Entrants (HCO) and to refrain from using public transportation for 7 days in principle, whether they obtain a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate.
In addition, based on whether they enter/return from countries/regions of 3-days quarantine at specific facilities designated by the chief of the quarantine station, and they obtain a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate (validity of which is certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare(MHLW)) (hereinafter referred to as “vaccination certificate”), the measures may be relaxed.
|Vaccination certificates||Home quarantine period and other measures after entry into Japan|
|From designated countries/regions subject to the measures (17)||No||3-day quarantine at a specific facility designated by the chief of the quarantine station(+negative test result (PCR test) at the facility)|
3-day home quarantine+ negative result of a voluntary test
7-day home quarantine without test
|From countries/regions other than designated countries/regions subject to the measures (17)||No|
|Yes||Home quarantine and other measures are not required|
Based on New Border Measures (26), countries/regions where COVID-19 variants other than the Omicron variant become dominant are to be specified separately. For all cross-border travelers and returnees from the specified countries/regions, the length of period when they are required to self-quarantine in places such as their own residence or accommodations after their entry into Japan, to follow-up checks conducted by the HCO, and to refrain from using public transportation is 14 days.
These measures are decided to remain in place until further notice.
Can I travel around Japan freely after entry - Japan Travel Restrictions in 2022
Currently, Japan has not yet opened travel visa application. Those who hold travel visas cannot travel to Japan according to the latest new measures.
For those who travel to Japan for a short-term or long-term stay because of business, education, work, or any other specified purpose designated by the government, they can travel around freely when they finish the quarantine 3 days after entry and get a negative result of PCR test, although they still need to submit 7-days detailed itinerary after quarantine. They can take public transportation as Japanese. In the public area, facial mask-wearing is requested.
If you want to plan a trip to Japan, feel free to contact us for a free consultation or get our latest information. You can also submit your request directly to create your own Japan tour.
7 Days Classic Japan Group Tour
Tokyo, Mt.Fuji, Hamanako, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka
Price from: $1498
11 Days China and Japan Discovery
Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, Tokyo, Mt. Fuji
Price from: $2707
12-Day Best Japan-Korea Small Group
Japan: Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kyoto, Osaka; South Korea: Seoul, Jeju
Price from: $3160