Visa and Passport in Myanmar
Myanmar, known as the "country of Buddhism", is ancient country with long history in Southeast Asia. Beauty, delicious food, lively markets, monk culture, and Burmese attitude towards life are all worthy of a look at this mysterious ancient country. Before planning a trip to Myanmar, do you know what documents do you need when traveling to Myanmar? What are visa and passport requirements for Myanmar? These are all you concern before traveling to Myanmar. Here you can get the answer.
Documents for traveling to Myanmar
What documents do I need when traveling to Myanmar? Just like traveling to other countries, a passport with a valid period of 6 months and a valid visa are necessary documents for traveling to Myanmar.
Visa - free countries for Myanmar:
There are some visa-free countries for Myanmar, including Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, etc..
Myanmar visa types:
At present, the most commonly used visa types in Myanmar are tourist visas, e-visa, and visas on arrival.
1、Tourist visa for Myanmar
Tourist visa for Myanmar is generally valid for 90 days, with a maximum stay of 28 days and a processing time of 3-4 working days. Fee of tourist visa for Myanmar is approximately $45.
Tourist visa for Myanmar requirements:
- Passport valid for more than 6 months.
- One copy of the visa application form.
- One 2 inch white background photo, which will be posted on the photo of the visa application form.
- Letter of work unit written in English.
- Ticket reservation form
Since September 1, 2014, the Myanmar government has implemented an e-visa. E-visa in Myanmar is limited to tourist visa and business visa. The e-visa Myanmar is processed within 3 working days and is valid once every 3 months after the review. The tourist visa can stay for 28 days, while the business visa can stay for 70 days. The e-commerce visa is about $70 and the e-tourism visa is about $50.
E-visa Myanmar requirements:
- Passport valid for 6 months from the date of departure.
- Color photos in JPEG or PNG format (sizes range from 600×400-1200×800), photos are no larger than 2MB.
- Credit or debit cards that can be paid internationally through channels such as Visa/MasterCard.
The use of e-visa has restrictions on entry and departure ports. Officials are currently only allowed to use the e-visa to enter Myanmar at Yangon International Airport, Mandalay International Airport, Naypyidaw International Airport, Taichilek Land Port, Myawaddy Land Port and Kawthaung Land Port. At the departure port, the Htikee land port is added on the basis of the above 6 ports. You must print the permit letter before traveling to Myanmar and carry it with you. When you arrive at the entry border checkpoint of the Myanmar, you can show it with your plane ticket, but you can't use your mobile phone to show your e-visa.
3、Visa for Myanmar on arrival
Passport holders, except diplomatic and official passport holders can apply for visa on arrival at Yangon International Airport and Mandalay International Airport in Myanmar. The stay period of visa on arrival is divided to 2 types: 28 days and 70 days. The corresponding fees are respectively $20 and $50.
Visa on arrival for Myanmar requirements:
- Passport valid for more than 6 months at the time of entry.
- Visa application form and 2 photos of 4cm x 6cm with white background.
- Departure ticket schedule
- It must demonstrate the ability to pay for travel expenses. The applicant carry at least $1,000 in cash and present it to the staff.
The policy of visa on arrival in Myanmar often changes. The uncertainty is very large. It is recommended that travelers visit the official website of the authority and official Weibo, WeChat, or call the Myanmar Embassy or Consulate to check and confirm the Myanmar visa policy.
Tips for e-visa for Myanmar:
- It is recommended to apply for an e-visa for Myanmar 1 week to 10 days in advance based on the actual departure date.
- When you apply for an e-vida, you need to fill in your personal email address to receive the visa and fill in the type of accommodation (Hotel/Motel/Guesthouse) and the full address during your stay in Myanmar. The place of residence must be legally registered. Your personal address can’t be allowed.
- If you have any questions about the status of your application, you can enter the application number (Reference Number) or passport number through the inquiry page. If you do not receive the permit letter, it is recommended to first enter your mailbox to see if the message is automatically blocked. Then check the status of your application, confirm the problem and then contact the relevant staff through the contact page.